Sunday, February 21, 2010

Shakespeare in the park, with a side of wedding

So for the past week, we've been discussing (or RE-discussing, I guess) the idea of getting married at the amphitheatre where Scott proposed and where I practically live all summer long doing Shakespeare shows. And then somehow last night while standing in line at the Chocolate Lounge with my friend Esha, we actually officially decided in that random, laid-back, spur-of-the-moment style that I'm pretty sure only we could pull off. It went a little something like this.

Esha: When is the wedding?
Me: Eh, we dunno. Septemberish. We've gotta work around Montford's show schedule a little, 'cause we're talking about getting married at the amphitheatre.
Esha: THAT WOULD BE SO COOL!
Me: I know! I think we're probably gonna do it.
Scott: Let's decide! We're getting married at Montford.

And that was pretty much it! This is great for a lot of reasons. For starters...it's nice to know we finally picked a venue. It's not absolutely everything we wanted, of course. I wanted something a little more out in nature, and Scott wanted something with an indoor option if it rains. I'm sure that over the next few months, I'm going to have a couple of doubts about whether or not it was a good decision. So, with that in mind, I'm going to go ahead and blog about all the reasons it IS a good decision.

1. It's cheap. I actually don't know exactly what John would charge us, but I know it'll be cheaper than a regular wedding venue. And of course, I suppose we officially have to clear things with the board of directors...but I'm ON the board, so hopefully that will help a little bit. I don't see why anyone would have a problem, but then again, you know how committees are - there's always going to be a naysayer who will list all sorts of reasons why it's a Bad Idea. But all that aside...cheap venue.
2. There is PLENTY of space to seat people. Which is great, because there are tons and tons of people I would love to invite to this wedding. Granted, we'll probably have to rent chairs, since the amphitheatre seating is just grass and wood and dirt, but then again, we might have people bring their own lawn chairs to sit in.
3. There is plenty of parking, which was a major concern for a lot of the other low-budget venues we've looked at.
4. There's no need to set up a dance floor; people can just come down to the stage during the reception.
5. The food tables can all be set up ahead of time and kept backstage until after the ceremony.
6. It's a theatre. Which is perfect for us.
7. It's outdoors, which is what I've always wanted.
8. It's easy to get to, yet it's still kind of remote - you can't even seen the parking lot from the theatre because it's over the hill, and in the summer you can't really see the houses that are nearby because they're covered up by trees.
9. There's a great little grassy field really close by that will be great to take pictures in; we hold rehearsals there sometimes when there are two shows rehearsing at once and not everyone can have the stage. The field is right next to a tiny, tucked away corner of the cemetery that Thomas Wolfe is buried in...and to be honest, I'm just enough of an oddball that I'm considering the possibility of taking wedding photos IN that little graveyard corner. It's really a sweet, peaceful place.
10. It's where Scott proposed, so it would be great to get married there.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Mandy, Mandy, Mandy (and Scott, sorry!)! The amphitheater is absolutely the most perfect place in the whole entire world for y'all to marry. That would be so much fun. I just put in an application to reserve it for a student at school who's doing a benefit concert there this spring, and the cost to rent the whole place is only $100 for 3 hours, and $25 per hour after that. I'm picturing a beautiful ceremony "above" then a raucous reception/dance party below. It would be better than, well, anything! I'm so glad I found this new blog of your - I commented on your last post on the other site but didn't hear from you. I think it's such a cool idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay David! Oh, and I replied to your post on my other blog, it just took me a few days before I saw it. I need to officially reserve the amphitheatre for whatever day we pick...we're thinking September 25th? But yeah, it's perfect, because the dance floor is already kind of in place, there's plenty of seating, and...well, Montford is like home!

    ReplyDelete